Thanks to Gary McIntyre for putting together our BEA History Division Newsletter. In this addition you will find valuable information about the upcoming convention (April 15-17) in Las Vegas. Also, don’t forget to register early for the convention at http://www.beaweb.org/staticcontent/staticpages/2010conv-reg.htm
Call for Papers
Received By Deadline: December 4, 2009
The Broadcast Education Association invites scholarly papers from academics, students and professionals for presentation at the 55th annual convention, in Las Vegas, Nevada. The BEA2010 convention spotlight, “Balancing Form & Content” serves as a focus for the convention, but does not imply that competitive papers must reflect that theme. Papers should, however, address the goals and objectives of the History division.
The History Division will select up to six papers – four for presentation and two as alternates – for presentation at the convention, including the Scholar-to-Scholar (poster) session.
NEW THIS YEAR!!! Through an online system by All Academic, Inc., BEA members can upload papers online for the 2010 paper competitions. In addition, reviewers will be able to go online and blindly judge the entries. Papers can be submitted to the BEA2010 competition site at: http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/bea/bea10.
Papers are submitted directly to the History division as either “Debut” or “Open” papers. The Debut category is open only to those who have never presented a paper at the BEA2010 convention. First and second place winners in Debut categories receive $200 and $100 to help defray their costs of attending the convention. If you have previously presented a paper at a BEA convention, your submission category is “Open”.
Papers must be submitted through All Academic, Inc. by midnight on December 4, 2009.
Paper Submission Requirements:
* New account: All users will need to create an account to start the submission process.
* Submit a paper: Click on the link for “Submit or a Paper or Program Proposal.”
* Select a Division: Read the division descriptions and select the division to which you will submit your paper. Papers may NOT be submitted to more than one division in the same year.
* Title/Abstract: Follow the guidelines to submit the title & abstract.
* Co-Authors: At the prompt, add any co-authors to the paper (encourage your co-authors to create an All Academic account so you can search for them and add them).
* Review your information and submit: Review your information and upload your paper.
* Editing Abilities: You will be able to edit and or re-submit papers up until the paper deadline.
* Length & Style: The paper is not to exceed 30 double-spaced pages, including references & tables, and use of APA style or a style suited to the discipline is expected.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR UPLOADED PAPERS: Please do NOT include a cover page with author and contact information and remove ALL author information from internal pages. Judges need to blindly review your papers. Your paper information will be directly linked to your profile.
Convention Attendance: At least one (1) author of an accepted competitive paper MUST attend the BEA2010 convention to present the paper. Participants MUST be current 2010 individual members of BEA and registered for the convention. Winners will be notified by February 8, 2010. If you have questions regarding the submission process, please email Eric C. Covil, the History Division Vice-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
August 14th is the deadline for submitting program proposals and panel proposals for the 2010 BEA convention. More information about submitting a proposal can be found at: http://www.beaweb.org/staticcontent/staticpages/2010conv-research.htm
If you have not heard, there is a bookstore through Amazon.com that features books written by BEA members. The address is: http://astore.amazon.com/beon0f-20?node=1&page=1
As we all know, summer is a great time to update course materials and find books that will help us educate our students. Why not give the BEA bookstore a chance and see if there is a book that works for you. Several titles in the store were written by History division members.
If you have recently published a text and would like to share it with the division send me an email with a description and a picture of the cover. I’ll post it on the blog for our members to consider.